A chemistry laboratory can be a dangerous place where accidents can happen. Because of the presence of toxic, corrosive, and even explosive material, one can never be too careful in a chemistry lab. This article will look at the most critical precautions useful in a chemistry lab.
- Minimize direct contact with chemicals whether they are safe or not, including any contact with eyes or ears and the skin.
- Label all chemicals appropriately to avoid any mistaken exposure
- Read all labels and follow instructions carefully before any chemical experiments.
- Post hazardous signs where necessary, including high-risk chemicals and places in the laboratory
- Never use unlabelled chemicals under any circumstances.
- Avoid having too many unnecessary people in the lab at the same time.
- Unplug all electrical items before leaving the lab
- Never conduct any chemical experiments unsupervised or without clearance from a lab assistant.
- Know all the safety points in the lab, including the fire extinguishers, fire exits, eyewash stations, and safety showers.
- All reagent bottles must remain corked at all times, except when in use. When out of use, they should be corked as soon as their use is done.
- Anyone entering the lab must be in protective clothing, including lab coats, gloves, and safety goggles when necessary.
- All chemical residue should be safely disposed of in the designated containers and not the sink.
- You should always use the equipment for the specified purpose only. This ranges from test tubes to magnet stirring systems. When in doubt about using anything, you should always ask before taking any steps.
- You should not bring food, beverages, and cosmetics into the chemistry lab at any point. Any food that comes into the lab should be immediately disposed of and not consumed under any circumstances.
- Long hair should be tied back and appropriately covered before and during your time in the laboratory.
- When in doubt, always ask for clarification on any question concerning lab safety.
By following the simple, yet important precautions above, you’ll ensure your safety and fun while performing your experiments.…